Thursday 2 April 2009

Not in London, but still...

I recently went down to Charmouth in Dorset for a couple of days and, whilst there, visited Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Canteen, which is only about five miles away in Axminster, Devon. I had told them of my allergy when we booked and the extremely nice waiter who served us was very knowledgeable and knew what I could and couldn't have. Also, because all the food is local, seasonal produce and cooked fresh, there isn't much call for flour or hidden barley in stock etc - everything is pretty-much homemade...

It was a lovely atmosphere and delicious food - I had lamb's liver with potato gratin and greens in a balsamic gravy, followed by a vanilla yoghurt panacotta with rhubarb.


If you're ever down Devon way, it's well worth a visit!
We stayed at The White House Hotel in Charmouth, which is a great culinary resting place! The owner is a chef and prepares all the food himself - again using only local, seasonal produce. Again, informed them of my allergy and although they don't have g-f bread or anything, the food was all fine for me and extremely tasty, so a good place to stay if you're gluten-free... lovely, friendly people too.

No comments: